DIY Cat Toy
All your dog wants for Christmas is this DIY toy cat.
Ensure your pet will enjoy this toy safely by making each stitch or knot as tight as possible.
- - Socks. Adult sizes will make a larger toy, kid sizes a smaller toy.
- - 8”x4” piece of duck cloth, canvas, denim, or other sturdy fabric with no to minimal embellishments
- - Sewing needle
- - Sewing thread
- - Scissors
- - Plastic squeaker
- - Marker or chalk for tracing
- - Straight pins
- - Soft toy stuffing
- - Optional: embroidery floss for face and sewing machine
- Fold the 8”x4” piece of sturdy fabric in half. Sew two sides shut. Insert the plastic squeaker into the pouch, then sew the pouch shut. Set the pouch aside.
- Turn socks inside out and smooth the fabric. Draw a V at the top opening of the sock to create cat ears. Sew along the V 2 or 3 passes to ensure it is tight and secure, then trim excess fabric along the V and just below the heel of the sock.
- Turn the sock right side out. Use a pencil to gently push the ears out so they are pointy, then gently push small pieces of stuffing into the ears, fill the body and insert the squeaker. Leave 1” of open space at the bottom. Note: stuffing the toy with small pieces of stuffing until it is full will result in a more uniform, even shape when finished.
- Stitch along the bottom of the opening all the way around using a needle and thread, then pull gently until the hole closes. Push the needle through the fabric so the needle and thread are outside of the toy. Push any excess fabric inside the toy, then pull gently on the needle and thread to close the hole.
- Stitch through the seam you just created several times to ensure it is securely closed. Tie off the thread and snip the thread next to the knot.
- Sit back and enjoy watching your furry friend jump right in to the holiday spirit!
- As with all dog toys, your dog should be under complete supervision while in use. Please remove the toy from your dog at the first sign of wear*
* WARNING. FOR PETS ONLY, NOT A CHILD’S TOY. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN. This toy was handmade with care and may have imperfections. Small parts can present a choking hazard or gastrointestinal blockage risk. Always supervise your pet while in use to prevent accidental swallowing of parts. Store out of the reach of your pet when not in use. Inspect toy regularly and remove the toy from your pet at the first sign of wear, as serious injury may result.