DIY Dog Bone Toy
Your BFF is begging to find this DIY dog bone under the tree this year.
Ensure your pet will enjoy this toy safely by making each stitch or knot as tight as possible.
- - A minimum of 2 pieces of material to upcycle, 10”x6” each. We suggest using sturdy, tightly woven materials such as wool, fleece, denim or flannel with no or minimal embellishments.
- - 8”x4” piece of duck cloth, canvas, denim, or other sturdy fabric
- - Sewing needle
- - Sewing thread
- - Scissors
- - Plastic squeaker
- - Soft toy stuffing
- - Marker or chalk for tracing
- - Straight pins
- - Optional: sewing machine
- Fold the 8”x4” piece of sturdy fabric in half. Sew two sides shut. Insert the plastic squeaker into the pouch, then sew the pouch shut. Set the pouch aside.
- Draw a fun dog bone shape to use as a pattern. Trace dog bone pattern on the inside of 2 pieces of fabric.
- Cut along the line and secure the two fabric bones together, outer sides facing one another, with two or three straight pins.
- Sew or stitch along the traced pattern line. Leave an approximately 2” to 3” opening on one of the long straight sides of the bone. Trim off excess fabric.
- Flip the dog bone right side out by pushing the ends of the bone through the opening. Gently push a portion of the small pieces of stuffing into the ends of the bone. Insert squeaker, then finish filling the bone with stuffing.
- Stitch the remaining opening closed by hand with a coordinating thread color. Tie a knot and snip the string, then push any remaining string in through the seam.
- Sit back and enjoy watching your furry friend jump right in to the holiday spirit!
- As with all dog toys, your dog should be under complete supervision while in use. Please remove the toy from your dog at the first sign of wear.*
* WARNING. FOR PETS ONLY, NOT A CHILD’S TOY. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN. This toy was handmade with care and may have imperfections. Small parts can present a choking hazard or gastrointestinal blockage risk. Always supervise your pet while in use to prevent accidental swallowing of parts. Store out of the reach of your pet when not in use. Inspect toy regularly and remove the toy from your pet at the first sign of wear, as serious injury may result.